Category Archives: community

It’s my blog and I’ll do what I want…..

Poetry…. Nostalgia…. History…. Political rants …. Hey, it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want with it.   That’s the incredible, amazing thing about blogging. I’ve come to think of it as a new form of communication, (as opposed … Continue reading

Posted in causes, community, consciousness, inteernet, modern life, personal power, Reflection, reflections, values, world peace | Tagged , , , , , | 3 Comments

Get involved – again and again….

On the wall in my favourite coffee shop is a sign that says, “Always hold firmly to the thought that each one of us can do something to bring some portion of misery to an end.”  It moved me so … Continue reading

Posted in causes, community, education, personal power, Reflection, reflections, values, volunteer | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Legalize drugs? Duh!

A lot of people I know smoke cigarettes. Most drink alcohol. Yes, some have problems resulting from these activities. But for the most part, they know what they are consuming. And above all, no one is being murdered over it, … Continue reading

Posted in community, consequences, criticism, drug crime, fear, ignorance, marijuana, reflections, values | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Seeds of the dream

In the late sixties, in an era sometimes called “the counter-culture revolution”, I was occasionally a “weekend hippie”. I suspect there were many of us. Why only weekends? Well, it’s one thing to believe in social change, but an entirely … Continue reading

Posted in community, personal power, reflections, values | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

The ‘new normal’

Years ago, during my last therapy session with a well-known psychiatrist, I asked her if she had ever known a “normal” person. She looked puzzled, and slightly annoyed. “I mean someone who has no neuroses, no issues, needed no therapy?” … Continue reading

Posted in community, ignorance, Inclusion, judgment, reflections, values | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Community = Inclusion

People in mental or emotional distress need human nurturing and other kinds of personal support, yet often end up isolated. This can conceivably slow any potential healing process and make things worse for both the person and the community. But … Continue reading

Posted in community, Inclusion, values | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment